Black Mold Facts

Black mold can cause many health problems, including allergies, asthma and even cancer. Black mold is a group of certain mold species which are black in colour. This is not always the case though; mold can come in many different shades, including red, orange, yellow, or even green. Black mold has also been identified as an environmental toxin and a potential carcinogen for those with immune compromised immune systems such as those who suffer from AIDS and diabetes. If you suspect that you have black mold in your home, it is wise to contact a specialist mold removal company to remove it safely and completely.

There are many types of mold that could cause allergic reactions or cause health problems. The most common and toxic mold species are Cladosporium mould and Stachybotrys mold. These two types cause toxic and often lethal reactions. If black mold growth has been detected and you’re worried about the health of your family, it is best to take action as soon as possible.

black mold on wallTo determine if mold growth exists on your surfaces, an analysis must be done. An inspector or consultant will examine the surface and check for evidence of mold growth using various techniques. One way is to use the naked eye. It’s important to remember that mold spores are very small, so even a small amount of mold can be invisible to the naked eye. The inspector will look for evidence of mold growth using visual techniques including microscopic images and color samples. Some mold specialists combine visual techniques with exposure testing, where they can visually determine the presence of toxic mold spores on surfaces that have been exposed to it for long periods of time.

For visible mold growth on surfaces such as walls, floors, ceiling, and cabinets, it will usually be necessary for a specialist to perform a more detailed exam. For surfaces that don’t seem affected by the naked eye, such as countertops and sinks, a specialist may use liquid penetrant testing. This method involves using a special chemical to identify the presence of mold spores on a sample of wall or floorboard material. Sometimes the symptoms will be confused with allergies or other ailments, so your medical professional will be able to determine that the symptoms are caused by the black mold.

If the mycotoxin detected has a significant level of toxicity, it could be a sign of severe mycotoxin poisoning or a lung disease. Mycotoxins cause a range of health effects, including memory loss, liver damage, tremors, seizures, comatose, and cancer. They are often present in sewage systems, so you should check any open or damp areas in your home for possible mycotoxins. There are a number of different types of mycotoxins, including cholera toxin, food poisoning, plant toxins, and mold spores.

In order to be sure you have black mold, an air conditioning specialist will need to perform an air quality inspection. Some types of mold produce mycotoxins in only a specific environment; others produce mycotoxins in any environment. In the case of certain types of mold, the mycotoxin can be detected after only one exposure. However, most mycotoxins tend to release their toxic substances after repeated exposure. An air conditioning specialist can identify the source of the pollution and remove the source if necessary.

As a final step, your inspector will offer recommendations for black mold removal and recommend solutions for reducing the risk of future health problems. If the source of the pollution is not determined, experts recommend adding non-toxic resins to the space or installing a vapor barrier to inhibit the growth of indoor molds. In many cases, simply finishing the necessary ventilation and air-conditioning improvements will prevent health risks. If mold removal is unavoidable, your inspector can offer advice on how to best make use of the solution.

In the past, inspectors recommended cleaning with dilute bleach solutions or ozone. While these products are still widely used for disinfecting surfaces, health experts recommend using a commercial disinfectant with added oxygen. Ozone has been proven to kill many types of bacteria and mold; it also destroys surface-based contaminants such as drywall and ceiling tiles. Health officials also recommend wiping down exposed surfaces to reduce the potential for cladosporium mold growth. In addition to killing mold, disinfection reduces the health risk of chemical irritants, such as paint fumes.